Friday, April 10, 2009

well that's interesting...

As you may or may not know, I'm currently working at an Emergency Psych facility. If nothing else all I can say is that it's interesting. I could also be pursuaded to use the adjective, "colorful". Ha! But, that may be an understatement. I'm not exactly sure how to explain it fully but here are just a few things that happened to me today:

1 I was called a prostitute by a woman in response to "can I talk to you for a minute?"

2 I was called "that [black] thing" as well as a more colorful version, by a woman who was placed in restraints after she told us she would go to crawford texas to shoot a certain ex-president.

3 Spoke to an unstable man in a very small room, whom I later found out was in fact a murderer. Hmm. No worries, I had another student with me!

4 Tried to speak to a man who insisted on scooting his chair closer and closer to me, upon me informing him that he was not allowed to sit in the chair next to me, he laughed. I started to feel my heart in my throat the longer the interview proceeded and thus decided it was time to end the interview promptly before we had to involve a panic button or security!

5 I eat lunch

6 Unstable man, revisited with attending physician decides he no longer wants to co-operate, which leads to a few "you Bi*&%es!" and an "i'll make you my wh@#e!" and a few "F&^% YOU!"s and some flying fingers. Hmmm...we have a "special" room for you!

7 I make a phone call to a patient's relative, we talk about currrent situation....in which, Suprise! all of a sudden we have a new problem involving purchasing of a gun and it being thrown away. Gosh, this was suppossed to be a simple phone call, why the med student? People REALLY open up to me!

8 A few hours earlier i spoke with a man who attemtped to kill himself. He thought he should go home, we did not. He starts crying, running around, and screaming....hmmm...maybe YOU should be in the special room.

So, without breaking any "hippo" rules I think ive given you a glimpse of how my AWesOMe day went! Wierd thing is, I really dont mind. It's entertaining and atleast it's not boring and I'm not standing around doing nothin'! 5 more weeks left :)

1 comment:

Ms.Pat said...

Lord have mercy child that sounds too scary. I think I'd dance right out of those rooms.
Mamaw

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails