Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve, has by far become one of my favorite memories. I actually enjoy it more than Christmas Day. As I get older it becomes harder and harder to stick with those "traditions" we grew up with, but I think its fun making new traditions. I heard someone say at some point in my life...."you know, if you do something twice, it's officially a tradition". So I say, do something fun and if you choose, completely strange, with your family and start you own "new" tradition.
I love that every year we do Christmas Eve with my dad's side of the family. We eat, drink, eat again and argue over how we should open the adults' gifts. We play a game to exchange gifts between the adults and every year there's an arguement over the rules and poor aunt shirley gets so mad. I dont know why everyone picks on her :)

I love making my dirt dessert every year too, I dont really know if people actually like it or if they just eat it to be nice. I know grandpa likes it, so at this point I'm afraid to not bring it. One of the best parts of our Christmas Eves are the pictures on the stairs. We've pretty much been taking them ever since I can remember. It's so funny to look at the pictures and see how people change over the years. Some of my favorites involve my great grandparents and all the grandkids, mamaw with her "boys", my mom with her braces, tara trying to pull my mom's hand from her crotch as she holds her for the picture (dont worry she was about 2!), me, tyler, and tara in matching outfits, and of course the picture of me, mom, and dad, in our coordinating holiday outfits. We were so cute.


Two random thoughts and maybe a few more:
one christmas eve, tara was REALLY sick and she threw up all over her cute little outfit, so she took christmas pictures in a little white t-shirt, and black sweat pants. She looked pitiful.
We used to have Christmas Eve at my mamaw's house, and one year we were all waiting for dinner and I heard jingle bells!! Who else could it have been? Come on people! Everyone told me I should go check by the fireplace because Santa came early. Of course I ran in there and found what every little girl ask for......a KEYBOARD!!! Whoo hooo. I was a rockstar! I'm sure uncle Andy played with it the rest of the night.
I remember my mamaw getting the largest jug of gummy bears I've ever seen. Amber, Arthur, and I got these really cute bags one year with pencils with our names them. Those were cool. We used to go to Christmas Eve church service together, it was almost the only time my dad would go to church. I miss that.

I'm aware this has run on and on, but I just LOVE Christmas Eve. I have to go make the dirt dessert now, Matthew just got back from the store with the Oreos......
.....ooops, one last thing...when we were little we ran from place to place to make sure we went to church and saw both families and what not, but on our way home before we would set out our eggnog and cookies for Santa, my parents would drive us around subdivisions to look at all the Christmas lights. It was something we did together, just the four of us. It was probably close to the best part of the night.
I'll probably make Matthew drive me around tonight,
atleast to look at a few houses....like last year ;)




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails