Monday, July 28, 2008

One of the lucky ones

My last blog post was a little fiesty so this time i thought i'd switch it up a little. I was hatin' some what on nurses in general and I'd just like to say thanks to Mrs. Libby, a scrub nurse over at Jewish East Hospital, who was very nice to me and a pleasant person in general. Actually, the majority of the people there were very friendly and easy to work with. Thanks! :)


If you've been following my twitter account over there on the side then you know that I finally got to see some babies last thursday!!!! YEA!!! Finally, some baby action. I have to say it was by far one of the coolest things i have ever seen. Granted, I still haven't watched a vaginal delivery but still, ceserean sections have to be equally as interesting, if not more.
****************************************************


I was one of about 15 or so people in the OR waiting for tiny little "emory" to enter the world. It was somewhat of a 3 ring circus if you ask me. I scrubbed in and watched as they (two OB/Gyn docs) entered the abdomen, and cut open the uterus and then the amniotic sac, which allowed a large amount of fluid to spill out and over the table. Luckily, they have these plastic drapes on the patient to catch the fluids/blood as it runs all over. Thank goodness for those cause otherwise my shoes would have been uh....damp. All of a sudden a tiny little head was poking out and the doc reached in and pulled out this little baby. They suctioned the baby's mouth and nose and I got to hear the very first breath and then cry that this little girl would take. I then got to cut the umbilical cord and the baby was passed off to the pediatricians who evaluate the baby and clean it off. It's a pretty emotional feeling when you realize how priviledged you are to hear the first breath and sounds of the little person that was hidden from the world for 9 months. Not going to lie, I got a little teary eyed but couldn't focus on that for too long with an open uterus, abdomen, and nasty placenta to be removed. ;) I saw her later after she was cleaned off and had a tiny little pink hat on and her daddy was holding her. She was wide awake with these big black eyes looking right at me.

*********************************************************
I wasn't really prepared for such excitement in one day, but little did I know we'd be participating in another c-section just minutes after my first experience! This time was even more exciting than the first....i know! Hard to imagine. These little kiddos were 27 weekers (2+ months early!!) ....and did i say kiddo "s" yes....TWINSIES!! I dubbed them my little "hannah montana" twins. They were incredible. First of all they were being delivered really early because they were a "twin-twin transfusion" which is very rare. To summarize the twins have two umbilical cords but they share blood supply, sort of like one big open circuit.



However, one twin generally has most of the blood shunted to it, and as a result grows bigger and as I like to put it "beauregards" the other one in the uterus, pushing it out of the way and stunting its growth. Most of the time, both twins do not survive and very often they both die. Scary. When we delivered these two little girls out of their mommy the first one was the big one and was over 6lbs--pretty impressive for a 2mo premie! She was so stinkin' cute. They laid her on the moms legs to cut her umbilical cord and suction her mouth. She reached up with her tiny hand and grabbed hold of the first thing she could which was a string on a lap rag (rag used to soak up blood). She was holdin' on for dear life just a screaming and crying, so i had to unfold her little fingers and pass her to the pediatrician. Too cute. Then on to baby number 2, literally the little sister in every sense of the word. She was so so so tiny, probably about 3-4 lbs. She had to be held for forty-five seconds with her legs higher than her head and blood squeezed from the cord into her little body. It was a little scary but she did great! I cut the cord and we passed that little thing over. Both twins had excellent APGAR scores (first evaluation of infant) and mommy did well too. Couldn't ask for anything better than that!



These aren't my "hannah montana" twins but their rolls and cuteness were too much to not put them on here :)

WHAT A DAY!!! :D

Makes me smile just thinkin' about it. I know i said i'd NEVER be an ob/gyn but you never know.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how amazing!! I love these stories and hope to read more in the future!!! I think you'd be a great OB/GYN! What a blessing it would be to bring life to the world everyday!!! I'm excited to see how your future turns out Erin!!

Stace

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails