Monday, June 30, 2008

newbie on the OB block

note: from here on out, all typos and misspellings should be ignored & forgiven. i love updating and taking time to share things but proof reading...not so much :)

first day down and i'm still standing. my head has been spinning like a vortex for about oh all day but i'm good. just a lot of information to take in on one day.
Ok so it wasn't horrible, it was just orientation and lectures all day--the hardcore stuff comes next week. We got our schedules today, which by the way might as well be writtin in chinese bc it's going to take me forever to make heads and tails of it.

I have really great people on my assigned team for the next 7 weeks (clint, marjorie, supra, and svarit) so I'm really happy about that. Our team starts off next week on Gyn/Oncology. Which deals with all the gynecological cancers and from what i gather is a great deal of surgeries. Intensive, loooong surgeries (think up to 6-9 hours!) Lawd. what have i gotten myself into??? I've already gathered that being the lowest person on the totem pole....and i mean like the bedrock that lies waaaaaay deep to the totem pole....means you get really really CRAPPY hours! I'm pretty sure for the next two weeks i'll be arriving at the hospital sometime between 3-430 to see my patients because i have to see them before the intern, who has to see them before the residents, who have to see them before rounds, which have to occur before we get ready to go into the OR for those few hours of surgery, which could result in the end of the day falling anytime between 3pm-11pm (yea its pretty much up in the air at all times)

I'm going to try to start doing more posts, just a little shorter. Must go get a jump start completing UNIT 1-normal pregnancy in my ob/gyn textbook before thursday.

**For those of you interested in my cousins' progress with her chemo, you can read her caringbridge page at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/emilyjospage She's doing really well so keep up the prayers! **

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails