Thursday, March 27, 2008

no pressure

You all have got to watch this video. It's of a little girl, she's 17 months old, and it was on the Today show a week or so ago. She really can read already. You have to watch. It seems at first like maybe she's just heard things over and over or memorized stories but keep watching. I believe both of her parents are speech-pathologist but they say they've never worked with her on reading at all. They seem grateful to be blessed with a child who is very intelligent, but realize it will also pose obstacles for them in the future. I think everyone is very different about when and how they teach their children certain things and that's part of the beauty of it all. You can push your kids to work harder and excel at things maybe before they are expected to know them, like reading, and your kid may not like to read at all. Or, you can let them watch tv,
or play and explore what things are on their own and before you know it they're sitting quietly reading book after book just pleased as peaches.

In this next video you can really tell that she is actually reading, she even signs "good" when she reads "good morning ann"

*warning: the following may contain poor grammar,
words that spell checker will NOT pick up, and possibly a lil' hillbilly speak*

I've gathered from discussions that when I was little, people thought i was really smart, like everyone does with their child or grandchild. But, i'm not convinced. I've watched family videos of me wandering around with a pacie (pronounced: PA-SEE) in my mouth until i was 3, grunting like a cave person, looking not just like i had dressed myself, but somewhat reminiscent of, a hobo.
I wish that I could post a certain video on here, however its on VHS-that's right kids, from one of those camcorders you had to hold like a boom box on your shoulder. Regardless, this certain video demonstrates my grace and eloquence when using pronouns or attempting to make anything plural.....

E: "hers sick. yea. she has fevers so we cant play.
but i gave them medicine shots."
M: "well, nurse erin, what's wrong with them?"
E: "I dun-no. WELL... him got the chicken pox from her and and
him gave em to her and she uh her gave ems to her
and they all are sick now."

Let's put it this way. If i was a crayola "crown" in the 96 box WITH the sharpener, i wouldn't be the brightest one catching your eye. In fact, you probably wouldn't color with ME, until you'd snapped like 64 of them in half. But that's ok. Your loss. 'Cause what you wouldnt know, is even if i looked like a yucky color, and my wrapper was sticky or a little disheveled...
I- am- a- "Dang -good- Colorer"


mom. how's this for a post?
like me?
Random, possibly strange even, or disconnected at times...yet still entertaining ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All that I can say is WOW. I'm pretty sure I have seen this video.
Matthew

sara said...

Have I ever told you the story about how I was in Mr. McKinney's gifted class? hahahah
Thanks for calling up the old memory of the fancy shmancy crayola box.

Anonymous said...

I MEMBER THIS HERE PATIENT IN THE UPSTAIRS BEDROOM (ward) HAHA ?WHO

Cindy said...

I still can't get the video to play. Anyway,you were and still are a super smart person. which is amazing, cause you had toys from China (probably full of lead paint) and drank from plastic baby bottles (which now they say leak hazardous chemicals into the formula).
Love, MOm

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails